Plated offers home delivery of seasonal recipes to keep your menu fresh and interesting. Chef Elana Karp designs meals that use the tastes and freshness of each season. As a result, you experience useful recipes such as grilled chicken kabobs for spring picnics and saucy meatball sliders for fall football games. The recipe cards are timely and provide a variety of foods throughout the year so your menu does not get stale. Each week, you receive a selection of 11 different recipes from which to plan your menu. You can vary your meals depending on your needs for the week. Select from meals that require an hour to prepare if you are planning for a quiet evening at home or choose a 20-minute quick prep meal for a healthy meal in time to rush out the door to participate in evening activities.
If you are tired of meal planning and shopping for seasonal ingredients, Plated delivers quality to your door. Plated prides itself on the value of its food. Chicken and pork are not raised with antibiotics and the selections of beef do not contain added hormones. Fish is sustainably caught. Plated uses organic ingredients when possible and always selects the freshest produce. The meat arrives packed securely on a bed of ice and stays fresh in the box through midnight on the day of delivery. Foods should be eaten within 5 days. You do not have to be home to accept delivery of your pre-packed meal. The courier will leave it in your designated area.
Marcy Gebo, a compliance manager at Dow Chemical has been using Plated for about a year. Mrs. Gebo says “I love it! The ingredients are fresh, directions are easy to follow and meals taste good. You can skip a week if you are out of town or change menu options easily through the web-site.” She also likes that she receives the full recipe with the meal so she can make it again if her family enjoys it.
Plated has a few things that could be improved upon according to Mrs. Gebo. She says, “I feel wasteful because everything comes in separate plastic bags. I recycle the cardboard boxes, but throw away the ice packs.” In addition, she has concerns over the amount of time to cook the meal. “Recipe prep times are accurate for an experienced cook, typically 30 to 50 minutes, but takes much longer for less experienced people.” She says to double the time if you are not comfortable in the kitchen.
How Plated works
You select the number of servings you prefer- either 2 or 3 servings. Most of the packages are designed to supply 2 servings and Plated discloses that each serving is typically enough for 1 adult or 1 to 2 children. Next, you choose how many meals you would like delivered each week. Your options are 2, 3 or 4 dinners each week. Then, you select your delivery address and day. Plated delivers to approximately 95 percent of the United States excluding Hawaii and Alaska and parts of Texas. Plated strives for freshness and ships from the packaging location nearest to you whether that is California, New York, Florida or Illinois.
The food arrives along with the menu card for easy preparation. You follow the directions and enjoy your evening meal that contains between 600 and 800 calories.
- Seasonal recipes for variety throughout the year.
- Plated is not a subscription and you have no minimum requirements or duration expectations. You can cancel the service at any time and re-subscribe at any time. Plus, Plated allows you to change the day of your deliveries or skip a week if you are called out of town or an unexpected emergency occurs.
- This meal delivery program provides approximate calorie amounts on their menus and also includes nutritional information so you have an accurate idea of what each meal includes. This is helpful when you have food sensitivities, allergies or dietary restrictions.
- Plated cuts down on waste. For instance, instead of buying a canister of nutmeg, Plated sends you the exact amount needed to season your meal.
- Discount for your first trial meal.
- Plated offers desserts to accompany your meal.
- Plated expects you to have basic ingredients such as eggs, salt, kosher salt, pepper and vegetable and olive oils.
- You will also need a variety cookware, so this food delivery service may not work for students in dorm rooms or those living in hotels.
- If you live in Alaska, Hawaii or parts of Texas, Plated is not available to you.
- The web-site is not easy to navigate.
- Over packaging of products is not environmentally friendly.
- Smelly meats due to the packaging. Plated suggests leaving the meal out of the packaging until the smell disappears and then cook your meal.
- $6.00 shipping on orders under $50.
To learn more about the at home meal delivery system, please visit www.plated.com